Surprise: Education and Healthcare Have the Best Interpersonal Skills
Millions of people have completed SOCIAL STYLE profiles, leading to a large database of information about how the Styles align within industries and how they help increase or decrease the overall Versatility of the industry they work in. This research provides a snapshot who has good interpersonal skills and who doesn’t and which industries are recognized for their people-skills. This new analysis of that information looks at SOCIAL STYLE across 32 industries. The results are quite interesting and they’re presented in a series of infographics available here.
The top three industries:
The bottom three:
- Research & Development
The rankings are based on the average Versatility for all employees in that industry who completed multi-rater SOCIAL STYLE Profiles. Versatility is a measure of the ability to work effectively with others. It is closely correlated to success in the workplace. Learn more about Versatility. The outcome of SOCIAL STYLE training is higher Versatility and on-the-job performance.
Industry SOCIAL STYLE Comparison
In addition to Versatility rankings, the distribution of employees’ SOCIAL STYLE for each industry was also done. With four unique SOCIAL STYLEs, a random distribution would result in approximately 25% of employees in each of the four SOCIAL STYLE quadrants. But the data show significantly different distributions confirming that people of different Styles are drawn to some industries and avoid others. Almost all industries have unbalanced SOCIAL STYLE distributions. Consider:
- Nearly 40% of Extractive industry employees are Analytical Style
- Only 12% of Aerospace industry employees are Amiable Style
- The Expressive Style is most common in the Hospitality industry, comprising 37% of employees
- The Media industry is the most balanced, with all four Styles registering between >22 percent and <30%
- Education – the top-ranked industry for Versatility – has just 14% Driving Style people, less than the 30% concentration of both Amiable and Analytical people.
How Does Your Industry Compare?
Download the complete report to see how your industry compares to others, or for an individual look at just your industry. Included in all infographics are rankings for Versatility, the distribution of SOCIAL STYLEs and recommendations for improving performance.